OK, I have succumbed to NaNoWriMo. Cath has persuaded me with her “it’s only 1667 words a day, it only takes an hour” spiel. It took a wee bit longer than that today, but the fact that I have no idea what the plot is probably has some bearing. I wound up at 1673 words with the thought that by tomorrow, I might know what happens next (other than in the very general sense. I have two or three key events planned out but I don’t know how I get from one to the other).
My novel idea is currently somewhat chicklitty, although who knows what it will turn into. I have been told that all sorts of plots can creep in when you’re not looking. It has three characters, the two or three events, and… er… that’s it. I’m trusting that something will drop into my head at an opportune moment.
As usual, I feel the need for some rules of engagement:
1) If it impinges too much on real life, it’s gone.
2) NaNoWriMo always comes below jobhunting on the priority list (even if NaNoWriMo is more fun)
3) If it’s not fun, I can ditch it
4) I still want to do Artist’s Way (there was some question on whether to pause Artist’s Way)
5) I will not get drawn into forums and meeting and suchlike, I just want to write like a little hermit for however long it takes each day.
So far this morning, I discovered that all my procrastinating impulses are still there, they were just under the surface. I do tend to put off my weekly writing exercise (that I do with an online group) to the last minute but that’s usually a matter of setting aside the time. This morning I had set aside the writing time, but oh, getting myself in the chair was a challenge! Let’s see how it goes. I think moving straight on from my morning pages first thing in the morning is going to be my preferred option. Watch this space for (lack of?) progress!
(PS I’ll be sporadically tweeting about NaNoWriMo, I’m @blurofwoodsmoke on twitter. I would love to hear from you if you are doing the same. While I don’t want to get sucked into forums too much, it would be lovely to see how people are getting on!)